Coach & Horses, Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne
Creation of Four Apartments
The existing public house was erected in 1908 on the site of an earlier ‘Coach and Horses Public House’ and forms part of a cluster of buildings which are central to the townscape of Wallsend. This development includes the Town Hall, the Fire Station, Police Court and (disused) Swimming Baths.
The Public House itself has two dominant elevations. The primary elevation is located next to the Town Hall and is orientated onto High Street East. The other is positioned onto Coach Road, a smaller access road, which is defined by the existing adjacent terrace housing which is a common vernacular of this area of Newcastle.
1 no. 3 bed flats, 1 no 2 bed flats and 2 no. 1 bed flats were created within the existing manager’s flat area and the Function Room on the ground floor.
As this is a key building for the area the presence of the building remains unaltered, with minimal alterations taking place to the main elevations of the building
The existing leaded windows within the building were retained, with the timber windows replaced with traditional sliding sash windows to match the originals.
As a principle, as many of the post-1955 additions as possible were removed