Care Home Conversion
Nicholson Nairn were commissioned to convert a former care home in 7 no. apartments for older residents.
The existing building was built in 1790 for Matthew Taylor, the founder of Swalwell Brewery. It is a grand stuccoed two-storey residence with classical proportions and detailing. It includes some interesting elements such as ornate bargeboards and mock gothic features including a castellated tower and small turret.
Internally, the building was in a generally poor decorative state, and has been significantly altered as required by various uses. Little of the original late 18th Century fabric of the building remained unaltered.
Extensive gardens are located to the front (north side) of the building, surrounded by stone wall and three wrought iron entrance gates, leading from the surrounding roads. This sets the building back from the main road, creating a landscaped swathe to the south side of Front Street as mirrored by the surrounding properties.