Palace Green Library, Durham
Access Improvements to World Heritage Site
The building today, known as Palace Green Library, is in fact a group of buildings – and their various extensions – that date from the 15th century onwards. Today they form the basis of Durham University’s special collections libraries and archives.
In 1858, a purpose-built library building was designed by the renowned architect Anthony Salvin, adjacent to Cosin's own building.
The buildings are Grade II listed and form part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Nicholson Nairn were commissioned by Durham University to carry out access improvements to the library building, including the creation of a ramped access to the main entrance door, the installation of a platform lift and installation of security equipment.
The works were carried out in close co-ordination with Durham County Council Conservation Officers and English Heritage.